Monday, June 8, 2020

Some shooting at last!!!

So,I finally got to shoot a bit the past weekend. What an experience! Firstly I had to figure out how to assemble the flags and set up the bench, this took a while. Then I had to figure out where the front of the rifle was (lol). I can tell you this, after that shooting session I had quite a few aches and pains from all the assembly and break up of flags and all of the bench stuff.

We only got to shoot some air rifle as the range is not accredited for rimfire after the extension. I started with the LV gun and I am still quite impressed. I can't remember the batch number as I was so keen to shoot that I forgot to make notes of any of the batches shot - not bright is all I am going to say about that.

Conditions was not to tricky but you have to watch the flags, I had some shots print on the target and then some seconds later you only notice the flag moved the minimum - and that was the difference.


 

The LV went quite well after such a long lay-off and figure it would have been somewhere between 244 to 246 on both targets. See below.






The HV gun worked like a charm once again. It is just amazing how comfortable I feel behind it. The conditions on the range is not the same after the extension, maybe I could have taken more care on the LV targets. The HV I target should be about an 248 or so. Overall not to bad, but as I said the range has changed and one should take note of the flag position wind strength and where the shot prints during practice.


So the day was also about testing my air rifle barrel tuner 'contraption'. The problem here was that I have a scope on the rifle that does not work for benchrest shooting, as the crosshairs cover the diagram - not ideal. The setup used:

Rifle Air Arms S400 Classic
Scope Nikko Sterling 4-16x
Pellet weight 8.44gr
Velocity 785 ft/s
Stock Renier Moster S400
Filling Pressure 180bar (all I have left)   





With the difficulty in aiming properly with this scope I decided not to fiddle with any setting on the contraption itself, I just shot some groups to zero the scope to complete the target. Overall I was impressed, but will leave the proper testing for the next time. What I can place on record is that this rifle never shot this consistent, yet I don't have any proof. Check out the 5-shot group below  9 o'clock on the 6 ring at diagram 22. The rest of the target I dropped about 11 points but keep in mind that the scope crosshair covers the diagram which makes aiming off for conditions a bit difficult especially if you are pirating on wind flags.


In the end it was good to be out on the range although it took time to figure out the setup and where everything is packed. At some point during setup I was looking for parts while standing with it in my hand -felt kind of stupid but luckily no one noticed(lol).

Cheers until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

erikd50@icloud.com